You've hit the half-century mark, and you actually feel younger than the age on your driver's license. But for some reason, time hasn't been so kind to your face or body -- both of which look older than you really are. Although some people might just accept things the way they are, you've never been one of them. And while you aren't looking into making any drastic changes to look younger; you certainly wouldn't mind looking your correct age. So here are a three ways you can help turn back the clock on your appearance.
Brighten that Smile
According to WebMD, having a nice smile can convey a lot about you. For one, it can make you look more confident and attractive. A nice smile could even help you to do better at work. But now that you're 50, your teeth may have become stained and discolored from coffee, smoking or age. And if you have missing or chipped teeth, you may be embarrassed to smile.
If your teeth are keeping you from smiling, it's time to see a dentist who can help improve your smile. Whitening may be an option if your teeth are just stained. But if you have more major issues such as gaps or uneven teeth, you might want to consider porcelain veneers. How are veneers applied?
- A dentist will first analyze your teeth to see what work needs to be done.
- A cosmetic imaging photo may be created that can show you what your smile will look like once the work is completed.
- If you decide to go with this procedure, a thin layer of your tooth enamel will be removed to create room for the porcelain veneer.
- An impression of your tooth or teeth is then made so that the veneer can be constructed.
- When the veneers are ready, your dentist will apply a special cement bond to your tooth or teeth and then apply the veneers.
- A special light is then used to harden the cement.
Get Rid of Wrinkles
Those tiny crow's feet around your eyes and deep lines in your forehead can really make you look older. That is why so many people -- including men -- are turning to Botox injections. Do you find it surprising to hear that men are turning to Botox to get rid of wrinkles? Don't be. According to Men's Fitness -- which jokingly referred to the injections as Bro-tox -- the number of men who have used Botox to decrease the appearance of wrinkles has risen by 258 percent in the last decade. So what should you expect if you go in for a Botox treatment?
- You may want to numb your skin before the treatments. There are a number of ways this can be done. You could, for example, apply a numbing cream or a cold spray to your skin prior to the Botox injections.
- Your doctor will then make numerous injections into the area where you want your wrinkles to be reduced. The number you may need will vary greatly, depending on how many areas you want to have treated.
- After the treatment, you should not rub the areas where the injections were made as that could cause the Botox to move into other nearby muscles of your face.
In general, Botox treatments will last approximately four to six months. However, some patients have noticed that their wrinkles and lines are less noticeable even after the Botox injections have worn off.
So if Mother Nature hasn't allowed you to age as gracefully as you would have liked, consider these two procedures. Both can help you look the age you actually feel.